This page lists the Printed Maps that are referenced in EGTRE.
Publication dates and ISBN details are provided where known.
Note that in some countries, particularly those using the Cyrillic or Greek alphabets, transliterations of station names to Latin characters do not always correspond with those in official publications.
Information on printed maps for countries beyond Europe is held at the Enthusiast's Guide to Travelling the Railways of the Rest of the World - see the relevant EGTROW page.
European Rail Atlas (All-Europe Enthusiast Edition)
by M.G. Ball. ISBN 978-1-9161212-9-4, Version date: 1 August 2020.
The Enthusiast Edition of the European Railway Atlas depicts the national network railways of Europe (everywhere west of the Russian border). All passenger, freight and proposed lines are shown, as are most heritage railways, though most metros are excluded.
Main lines are distinguished from secondary and single track from multiple. Electrification systems and track gauges are shown and there is a full index of stations and heritage railways. The atlas also has the key in nineteen European languages. For ordering and other details see European Rail Atlas Website.
European Rail Atlas (Regional series)
The Regional Atlas Series is a development of the original European Railway Atlas and is aimed at those railway enthusiasts, travellers and railway professionals who want greater detail. The maps are drawn to larger scales and show all stations on the National Networks.
All passenger, freight and proposed lines are shown, as are heritage railways, though some metros are excluded or simplified. Main lines are distinguished from secondary and single track from multiple. Electrification systems and track gauges are shown. There is a also full index of stations and heritage railways, together with weblinks.
This Regional Atlas Series has been amalgamated into three books, with countries grouped as below. Follow the link for ordering and other details. Page and grid references listed in EGTRE are unchanged.
- Book 1: Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Great Britain, Ireland, Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg ISBN 978-1-8384886-1-1, Version date 21 May 2022.
- Book 2: Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy ISBN 978-1-8384886-2-8, Version date 24 August 2022.
- Book 3: Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, North Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Moldova, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Kaliningrad, Belarus, Ukraine ISBN 978-1-8384886-3-5, Version date 23 November 2022.
Schweers+Wall Eisenbahnatlas series
Published by Verlag Schweers + Wall GmbH, but their website address now links only to the Eisenbahn Kurier online shop Rail Atlases page.
These atlases, with keys in German English and other languages, show railways at 1:150 000 or 1:300.000 scale, with enlargements for most large towns and cities. Single and double-track lines, electrified and freight-only railways are distinguished. Passenger train operators other than those of the national company are noted next to lines that they use; privately-owned lines and leased lines, with the operator as well if different. The gauge of narrow-gauge lines is stated. Lines out of use and those entirely closed are also shown. Details can occasionally be confused in congested areas, particularly because parallel lines are used to show railways with more than two tracks. Built-up areas, motorways, rivers, canals and forests are depicted.
The following books have been or are available. Each link leads to ordering and other details on the Eisenbahn Kurier online shop. Some of these maps are also available from Platform 5 Publishing.
- Eisenbahnatlas Griechenland ISBN 978-3-89494-148-2, A new 2nd. Edition, is shown to be published in 2022 but expected available in 2023.
- Eisenbahnatlas Frankreich Band 1: Nord ISBN 978-3-89494-143-7, published 2015.
- Eisenbahnatlas Schweiz ISBN 3-89494-122-7, published 2012. A new 3rd. edition is expected to be published in autumn 2023.
- Eisenbahnatlas Österreich ISBN 978-3-89494-150-5, 3rd. Edition, published in 2021 but was available in 2022.
- Eisenbahnatlas Europäische Union ISBN 978-3-89494-147-5, published 2017.
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland ISBN 978-3-89494-149-9, published 2020. A new edition is expected to be published in Winter 2022/2023.
- Atlante ferroviaro d'Italia e Slovenia / Eisenbahnatlas Italien und Slowenien - ISBN 978-3-89494-129-1, published 2010 (does not appear to be presently available for purchase)
by W. Kolondra except where otherwise stated, published by Eurosprinter, a Polish company.
- Mapa Kolejowa Bułgarii (covers Bulgaria) published 2015.
- Mapa Kolejowa Litwy, Łotwy i Estonii (covers Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia) published 2013.
- Mały Atlas Linii Kolejowych Polski 2011 by M. Stiasny and R. Stankiewicz (covers Poland) published 2011.
- Atlas Przewoźników Kolejowych Polski 2011 by Jacek Chiżyński (covers Poland) published 2011.
- Mapa Kolejowa Rumunii (covers Romania) published 2014.
- Mapa Kolejowa Serbii, Kosowa, Czarnogóry (covers Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro) published 2019.
- Mapa Kolejowa Węgier i Słowacji (covers Hungary and Slovakia) published 2015.
Quail Map Company series
The Quail Map Company (formerly of Lincoln Road, Exeter, UK EX4 2DZ) has ceased trading. The following list of maps is given for reference, but most are quite old, out of date and out of print. However they generally contain useful historical and other supplementary information.
- Railway Map of Estonia - ISBN 1-898319-26-X, Second Edition, published 1997.
- Railway Map of Greece - ISBN 1-898319-48-X, Third Edition, published 2001.
- Railway Map of Latvia, Lithuania and Russia (Kaliningrad Region) - ISBN 1-898319-20-0, Second Edition, published 1996.
- Railway Map of Portugal - Third Edition, published 2010.
- Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova Railway Atlas - (ISBN 1-898319-10-3), published December 1995.
See also General Information - Maps