Denmark - Lines with Obscure or Sparse passenger services
This list is based on the timetable in effect from 11 December 2022.
Map references for each route entry are given in parentheses ( ). References prefixed "ERA-E" refer to the European Railway Atlas (All-Europe Edition) by M.G. Ball. References prefixed "ERA-R" refer to the European Railway Atlas (Regional Series - Nordic) by M.G. Ball.
Hundested – Hundested Havn
(Frederiksværkbanen: Lokalbanen A/S) (ERA-E 41B5; ERA-R 15B5) DK23/1
Lokaltog services continue 700m to Hundested Havn station when connecting with the hourly ferry to and from Rørvig.
Fredericia avoiding line: Middelfart (Snoghøj) – Taulov
80,81 (ERA-E 40B2; ERA-R 14B2) DK23/2
This east to west curve between the main line from København and routes to Esbjerg and the German frontier, is used by trains between København/Odense and Esbjerg/Kolding not calling at Fredericia
København – Ringsted high speed line: Dybbølsbro – Køge Nord – Ringsted
50 (ERA-E 41B4-C4; ERA-R 15B4-C4) DK23/3
This high speed line between København and Ringsted is used by trains running between København H and Ringsted or Odense that do not call at Roskilde.
København avoiding line: Ørestad (Kalvebod) – Ny Ellebjerg (Vigerslev) – Høje Taastrup (Hvidovre Fjern)
50 (ERA-E 41C4; ERA-R 15C1) DK23/4
This connection links the Øresundsbane from København airport with the classic main line to Roskilde.
Click on the thumbnail for a diagram:
It is used by the regional service between Slagelse and København Airport (CPH) which runs hourly, but with some gaps, on Monday - Friday. It is also used between Kalvebod and Vigerslev by the following trains
|EN497||Stockholm C – 00:19 København Airport (CPH) – Hamburg Hbf/Hamburg Altona|
|EN496||Hamburg Altona - 02:00 Odense - Stockholm C|
and by the Snälltåget services listed in the next entry.
København Airport avoiding line: Tårnby – Hyllie (Peberholm)
(ERA-E 41C4; ERA-R 15C1) DK23/5
The main line runs through Københavns Lufthavn station, which is below ground level, but an avoiding line runs at ground level to the north of the station. This may be used by the Snälltåget services listed below. It is more likely that westbound trains will use the avoiding line than eastbound trains because the latter would conflict with regular Øresund services at the flat junction at the west end of Københavns Lufthavn station. The junction at the east end is grade separated.
- It was reported in August 2021 that D301 ran via the avoiding line.
- It was reported in January 2023 that D305 ran via the avoiding line.
- It was reported in April 2023 that D300 ran via the avoiding line..
|D||D301||Stockholm C – 22:10 Malmø C – Berlin Hbf|
|D||FO||D305||14:40 Malmø C – Innsbruck Hbf|
|D||D300||Berlin Hbf - 06:20 Høje Taastrup - Stockholm C|
|D||SO||D304||18:09 Innsbruck Hbf - 00:17 München Ost - Malmø C|
D See the Snälltåget website for the dates of running.
[Leaflets] (ERA-E 41C4; ERA-R 15C1 - both not shown) DK23/6
There are numerous route splits on various lines, some of which are substantial. They are grouped together from north to south to assist travellers wanting complete their track coverage:-
- [Klampenborg] - Charlottenlund – Hellerup: The southbound line makes a large separate loop
- [Hillerød] – Gentofte – Hellerup: The east- and westbound lines take separate routes
- [Farum] – Ryparken – Svanemøllen: The line towards Farum is a diveunder
- The east- and westbound lines from Kobenhavn H are separated by substantial turnback/stabling sidings
- The line towards Kobenhavn H from Carlsberg dives under the Køge line
- The line from Valby towards Høje Tastrup dives under the Frederikssund line
- Rødovre is an unusual split level station; the line towards Høje Tastrup at least 10 metres higher than the line in the opposite direction
- The track towards Høje Tastrup from the penultimate station of Tastrup dives under an access line to a sizeable S-Tog Depot
- On the Køge line the south- and northbound tracks at Hundige are separated by an S-Tog Depot
The northbound DSB line to Helsingør takes a separate route to the east of Nordhavn Depot
Other sparse services
Deletions since previous edition