Moldova - Lines with Obscure or Sparse passenger services
This list is based on CFM timetable information from 12 December 2021, unless otherwise stated. Standard abbreviations are explained in General Information.
Map references for each route entry are given in parentheses ( ). References prefixed "ERA-E" refer to the European Railway Atlas (All-Europe Edition) by M.G. Ball. References prefixed "ERA-R" refer to the European Railway Atlas (Regional Series - Romania, Bulgaria and Moldova) by M.G. Ball.
Bălţi-Slobozia avoiding line
(ERA-E 109B4; ERA-R 236C3) MD22/1
Bălţi has a triangular layout with stations at Bălţi-Oraş (south apex), Bălţi-Slobozia (east apex) and Pelenia (north apex, towards Ocniţa). The general service patterns over the three sides of the triangle are:
- Bălţi-Oraş - Pelenia/Ocniţa: international services between Chişinău and Moskva/Sankt Petersburg, two or three train pairs per day. These trains are currently suspended.
- Bălţi-Oraş - Bălţi-Slobozia: two local train pairs per day to/from Ungheni; These trains are currently suspended.
- Bălţi-Slobozia - Pelenia/Ocniţa: one local train pair per day. These trains are currently suspended.
Ungheni avoiding line
(ERA-E 109B4; ERA-R 236C2) MD22/2
This east <=> west connection links the lines from Chişinău and Bălţi. it is used by international trains Chişinău < = > Sankt Petersburg/Moskva. These trains are currently suspended.
Ungheni CFM - Ungheni Prut CFR - Socola (1520 mm gauge)
(ERA-E 109B4; ERA-R 236C2) MD22/3
The track is dual 1435/1520 mm gauge between Ungheni and Socola marshalling yard on the eastern outskirts of Iaşi. CFM introduced a daily 1520 mm gauge train between Chişinău and Socola on 30 September 2015, later reduced to FSSuO, then suspended, but by September 2023 was twice daily. This is the only broad gauge train, but there are other 1435 mm gauge services - and takes a slightly different alignment to a separate platform at, and to/from Socola, see Border Crossings: Moldova - Romania.
Chişinău - Chişinău-3 - Revaca
(ERA-E 109B4-C4, not shown; ERA-R 237B1, not shown) MD22/4
Between Chişinău and Revaca there is a section of effectively double track, with the two tracks separated by up to 200 m. The station named Chişinău-3 (also shown on some maps as "S.T.V.C.") has platforms on the two routes, one for each direction, and they are labelled as such. The two routes appear to be worked as conventional "right hand running".
Other Sparse services
The following lines have few trains (relative to service levels generally in this country) – fewer than three trains each way on at least three days a week – or do not run each weekday:
- Bălţi-Slobozia - Rogojeni - One train pair daily in December 2021
- Basarabeasca - Zloți - Two train pairs daily in December 2021
- Bender-3 - Tiraspol - Kuchurhan (Ukraine) - Only used by international trains Chișinău < = > Odessa
- Etulia - Reni (Ukraine) (operated by Ukrainian Railways)
Deletions since previous edition