Switzerland - Tram services over obscure routes
Some tram systems advertise their depot workings and enable one to ascertain the regular use by passenger-carrying services of junctions or sections of line that do not otherwise see public service. This occasional series lists such services that have come to notice. While the data for each system is current at the date stated, it is not the intention to endeavour to keep every entry up to date at every service change - the listing serves as a guide for travellers as to the sort of services they can look out for, enabling them to check current published timetable material at their time of travel.
To assist in tracing services, the route and/or timetable number for each journey is shown in parentheses, e.g. (1). Days of operation are in English notation (respectively: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, S) - plus "O" for only, "X" for excepted. Su (Sundays) usually includes public holidays in mainland Europe - but check locally.
Listings for other systems throughout the world - in the same format as shown below (please include date of timetable validity) - will always be welcomed.
Timetables from various dates from December 2018. Due to long term engineering work as at December 2019 the interworked 15/16 has no service until further notice between Airolostraße and Heiliggeiskirche nor is the 15 running via Messeplatz so no service via the Messeplatz south to west curve. But:-
Heiliggeistkirche - Munchensteinerstrasse
- Route 16 is long term diverted to terminate at MParc loop via this curve normally only traversed by SSuX Rush hours route E11
Messeplatz East to north
- Route 21 running SSuX Rush hours only so departures from Riehenring to Badischer Bahnhof at 06:32, 07:06/33, 08:02/32, 15:26/42/57, 16:12 and every 15 minutes until 18:27
- Route 21 running SSuX Rush hours only so departures from Messeplatz north to Bahnhof St.Johann at 06:19/49, 07:23/50, 08:20/50, 15:44 and every 15 minutes until 18:44
Dreirosenbrucke west to north
- Route 21 departures from Novartis Campus to Wiesenplatz Depot at 09:03 SSuX
- Route 1 departures from Novartis Campus to Wiesenplatz Depot at 00:31/52, 01:31 MTWThO, 01:31/46 FO 01:16 SSuO 01:46 SuO
Dreirosenbrucke east to north
- Route 21 departures from Brombacherstraße to Wiesenplatz Depot at 18:33/48 SSuX
- Route 14 departures from Brombacherstraße to Wiesenplatz Depot at 00:39 MTWThO 01:24/39 FO 04:39 TWThSO 01:39 SO 00:24/39 SuO
Bahnhof St.Johann street loop
- Only traversed by all route 21's so the complete loop by departures from Voltaplatz at 06:26/56, 07:30/57, 08:27/57, 15:22/39/52 and every 15 minutes until 17:52 then 18:06/22 SSuX.
- Note Route 21 is at December 2019 the only route to terminate at Badischer Bahnhof so does the loop there, notionally part of which is out of service.
Basel Bahnhof SBB
- As at December 2019 Route 1 terminates here and trams turn 180º between the arrival and departure stops, in theory out of service but this does not appear to be enforced.
- Monday to Friday from 25 February 2019 the connection between lines 11/14 to lines 4/13 avoiding the Haptbahnhof is used by
15:29 route 8 from Salersteig to Hardturm or 18:41 route 8 from Hardturm to Sternen Oerlikon on the section between Stampfenbachplatz and Sihlqua or vv. It is normally only used for football specials or engineering diversions, both irregular.