Germany - Tram services over obscure routes
Some tram systems advertise their depot workings and enable one to ascertain the regular use by passenger-carrying services of junctions or sections of line that do not otherwise see public service. This occasional series lists such services that have come to notice. While the data for each system is current at the date stated, it is not the intention to endeavour to keep every entry up to date at every service change - the listing serves as a guide for travellers as to the sort of services they can look out for, enabling them to check current published timetable material at their time of travel.
To assist in tracing services, the route and/or timetable number for each journey is shown in parentheses, e.g. (1). Days of operation are in English notation (respectively: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, S) - plus "O" for only, "X" for excepted. Su (Sundays) usually includes public holidays in mainland Europe - but check locally.
Listings for other systems throughout the world - in the same format as shown below (please include date of timetable validity) - will always be welcomed.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 7 October 2007
North-west to south-east curve at Landgericht
- Between Sieker and Senne as advertised as www.mobiel.de/fahrplanbuch.inc.php route 12.
South-west curve at Rathaus
- Between Sieker Mitte and Senne as advertised as www.mobiel.de/fahrplanbuch.inc.php route 18.
Bochum: BGS-AG Bogestra
From PDF on-line in December 2019
- New route opened 1 November 2020 so this entry is no longer in use.
A 2.25km single track intermediate section of route 310 between Bochum Unterstrasse and Papenholz is to be replaced by a new double track alignment and has in theory already closed as it is bus replaced. The section beyond Papenholz from Witten Crengeldanz to Witten Heven Dorf remained open as a shuttle and the December 2019 timetable showed one early morning tram positioning journey using the old route as confirmed by a footnote "fährt über Am Honnengraben". This is the 03:49 SSuX from Bochum Ertzstrasse to Witten Heven Dorf and it is expected to continue running until the new Langendreer Markt - Papenholz line opens in Autumn 2020. The December 2019 Timetable. There is no return working in public service.
From a May 2019 report
Wilhelmsplatz East to north curve
- Bonn route 65 which has a sparse mainly early mornings and evenings service runs via the curve from Wilhelmsplatz to B v Suttner Platz
North-west curve at Gördenbrücke
Used by route 1 depot workings - advertised journeys in timetable dated 18 December 2018:
- From Hohenstücken Betriebshof to Anton-Saefkow Allee (route 1 outbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 04:29, 05:00, 05:13, 05:48, 06:10, 06:30, 11:44, 16:08 (route 6: 16:03 from Hohenstücken Nord on school days)
- Saturdays at 05:57, 06:27
- Sundays and public holidays at 08:00, 08:30, 08:55
- From Anton-Saefkow Allee to Hohenstücken Betriebshof (route 1 inbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 05:29, 07:54, 08:28, 19:33, 20:15, 20:35, 20:55, 21:15
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 20:14, 20:44
Hohenstücken Betriebshof (public stop) onto the depot spur (south-east curve)
In the public timetable dated 18 December 2018, the route 1 departure from Anton-Saefkow Allee at 05:29 (listed above) is shown running to "Betriebshof VBBr", arriving just in time to run round the depot loop and form a departure from there at 05.46 (the 05:48 from Hohenstücken Betriebshof listed above). It is assumed these services only convey staff at this point, but the other route 1 workings shown to terminate or start at the public stop here also run into or out of the depot but empty as they have no "Betriebshof VBBr" times. Clarification would be welcome.
North-west curve at Fouquéstrasse
Used by the Sundays-only route 12 (combining the outer ends of routes 1 and 2) and route 2 depot workings.
January 2020 update: the whole of the branch to Quenzbrücke is temporarily closed, due to bridge work at Bahnhof Altstadt. Therefore routes 2 and 12 are suspended, and this curve sees no service. However, advertised journeys in the timetable dated 12 December 2004 were:
- From Hohenstücken Betriebshof to Quenzbrücke (route 2 outbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 04:44, 05:38, 05:51
- Saturdays at 06:17, 07:28
- Sundays and public holidays at 08:17, 09:21
- From Quenzbrücke to Hohenstücken Betriebshof (route 2 inbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 17:52, 20:04
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 20.04, 20:24
The on-line PDFs only show Depot journeys up until they leave or join their normal route so there is nothing to indicate any rare curves can be done in service. There are a few journeys shown as starting on one route and changing to another part way, but none of these would do any unusual curves.
Of the routes that run via the Hauptbahnhof, some tables have two timing entries with those going off route there listed against the second, i.e. different from passing through journeys. But looking at the track plan the drop off stop is before the loop so it is unlikely that will be done in service.
The website advises that due to August 2022 staff shortages route 10 is suspended and route 2 is diverted via the Hauptbahnhof as a replacement. This results in the north/south section of route 2 from Bürgerpark via Leisewitztstraße to John F Kennedy Platz having no service.
Note Route 4 is replaced by buses on Sundays
St Leonhard east to south and Hauptbahnhof east to north
Whilst travelling on Monday 12 September 2022 a tram was seen taking the St Leonhard east to south curve, displaying just John F Kennedy Platz as a destination but no route. It is NOT in any PDF, but a journey planner search finds it as a Route E Zusatzfahrt [additional trip], departing St Leonhard at 12:57 and Willy-Brandt-Platz at 12:58. What this tram does at John F Kennedy Platz is not known but schedules are boosted on school days with trams appearing in PDFs mid route around this time, for example some in service as route 3 to Weserstraße were also seen at St Leonhard.
Website route map [that includes bus routes] dated March 2020 is here with link to timetables from 29 August 2022 here. On the far right of the list of tram route timetables, under the heading "Linienverlauf", are links to PDFs which show the individual routes and stops on a geographical map, with many street names also indicated via a numbered key.
Some routes have a number of peak-hour workings which omit certain stops; these workings are indicated using an S suffix ("schnell") to the route number, and are shown in timetable PDFs.
Workings which terminate short or go off-route (including to depots) are usually indicated with an E suffix to the route number, with the route number being that of the final destination. For example, a depot-bound working from Borgfeld on route 4 to Betriebshof Neue Vahr (situated on route 1) will run as route 1E, and this route number is displayed on the stop electronic display as well as on the tram itself. However, some individual services change their route number one or more times during the course of the journey (examples are listed below). Most short and off-route workings are not indicated in the timetable PDFs, nor are they shown in the printed timetable information at stops. They can, however, be deduced by careful searching of the journey planner. There are workings from depots at the start of service, while workings to depots run after the morning peak, mid-evening on Mondays to Saturdays (when the service frequency halves on most routes), and at the end of service.
The journey planner ("Fahrplanauskunft", or "Schedule information" on the English pages) can be accessed from the BSAG homepage and many other pages on the website. To search for a journey over a particular stretch of track, first select the stops at the start and end of the journey; to select a stop, begin typing its name, and then choose the correct location from the options given - note you must select locations starting "Bremen" (except for those on route 4 beyond Borgfeld, which are outside the city boundary) and followed by a red, circular tram pictogram (in most cases route numbers are also stated in red rectangles). Then click on the "cogwheel" icon, which allows you to do the following to obtain only direct tram services between those stops:
- Click on "Services" and switch off everything except "Trams / light rail" (the most important thing to switch off is "Buses");
- Switch off "Include surrounding stations";
- Switch on "Direct trips only";
- On the "Walk" drop-down menu, on the "Walking distance to stop" option, select "without".
Then click on "Trip Planner" followed by "Search"; the next three services will be shown, but you can also show earlier or later ones (increasing the length of the list) or change the date and time for your search (remember to click "Apply" after changing the time or date). The journey planner shows the route displayed by the service (for example, 1E). Clicking on the service brings up more details (route number, destination displayed, stop used at origin and destination if more than one possibility), and also shows the route taken on a geographical map. Clicking on the red rectangle "Tram x" then shows the full schedule of the service, with booked arrival and departure times at all stops, the stop used at certain locations, and details of any route number changes during the journey. The times listed below were found in mid-September 2022, with some confirmed by sight during a visit a week or so earlier.
It appears that the DB journey planner works in the same way as the BSAG one - set the filters to "without stopovers", mode of transport as "trams" only, and change "admit changes" to "direct connections". Note that finding the exact stop is more difficult on the DB site.
The listings below include several entries for Historic Tram routes 15 and 16 which run on the second and fourth Sunday from April to September, but they have NOT been updated to reflect the 2022 routing. Details of these can be found here. In past years (pre-COVID) they have run as follows:
- Route 15 departs Hauptbahnhof (stop F, in front of the Übersee-Museum) at 10:30, 14:00, 15:30.
- Route 16 departs Hauptbahnhof (stop F, in front of the Übersee-Museum) every 30 minutes from 10:30 to 16:00.
West curve at the junction of Friedrich-Ebert-Straße and Osterstraße
Direct trams between Theater am Leibnitzplatz (routes 4 & 6) and Am Neuen Markt (route 8)
- Route 3 trams entering service from Betriebshof Neustadt to Gröpelingen [Note: also do the east curve at Westerstraße and the west curve at Am Brill afterwards (see below)] - from BSAG-Zentrum (stop on depot spur) at:
- Mondays to Fridays: 03:32, 03:55, 04:03, 04:08, 04:15, 04:31, 04:35, 04:40, 05:28, 05:37, 05:39, 05:48, 05:53, 05:57, 06:07, 06:15
- Saturdays: 03:32, 03:51, 03:55, 04:03, 04:08, 04:15, 04:31, 04:35, 08:30, 08:37, 08:50, 08:58, 09:00, 09:10, 09:19, 09:24
- Sundays and public holidays: 03:32, 05:41, 06:00, 06:08, 06:29, 08:45, 09:36
- Route 1 trams entering service from Betriebshof Neustadt [Note: also do the east curve at Westerstraße afterwards (see below)] - from BSAG-Zentrum (stop on depot spur) at:
- Mondays to Fridays: 06:00 to Tenever
- Sundays and public holidays: 09:04 to Bf Mahndorf
- Route 2E from Betriebshof Neustadt to Waller Friedhof [Note: also do the east curve at Westerstraße and the west curve at Am Brill afterwards (see below)] - from BSAG-Zentrum (stop on depot spur) at:
- Mondays to Fridays (but might not run during school holidays): 12:33, 12:43 [Note: they return as route 10E destination Ostertor über Hauptbahnhof, then becoming a 6E back to Betriebshof Neustadt and running via the north-west curve at Sielwall (see below)]
- Trams going out of service as route 6E from Gröpelingen to Betriebshof Neustadt (tram destination: Neustadt) [Note: also do the west curve at Am Brill and the east curve at Westerstraße before (see below)] - from Gröpelingen at (dep. Am Neuen Markt 19-21 minutes later):
- Mondays to Fridays: 00:07 (MO), 00:26 (MO), 00:27 (MX), 00:27 (MSSuX), 00:28 (MO), 00:57, 04:11, 20:30, 23:15
- Saturdays: 00:27, 00:57, 01:26, 03:56, 19:19, 19:30, 19:50, 23:15
- Sundays and public holidays: 00:07, 00:27, 00:57, 01:26, 03:56, 23:39, 23:47
- From Hauptbahnhof direction (and further out) via Am Brill - starts as 1S, changes to 1E at Kirchbachstraße, E at Hauptbahnhof and finally 6E at Am Brill [Note: also does the east curve at Westerstraße before (see below)]:
- Mondays to Fridays: from Tenever-Zentrum at 06:55 (Hauptbahnhof dep. 07.26, Am Neuen Markt dep. 07.32)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
East curve at Westerstraße
Direct trams between Am Brill (route 1) and Am Neuen Markt (route 8)
- In the evenings, route 8 only runs north of the city centre, to Kulenkampffallee. To turn trams, they make an anti-clockwise circuit from Hauptbahnhod via Am Wall, Westernstraße and Domsheide back to Hauptbahnhof, as indicated in a footnote in the timetable PDF. They change their route to E (without a number) prior to arriving at arriving at Hauptbahnof, and then back to 8 after reaching Westerstraße. Depart Hauptbahnhof at 19:34 (SO), 19:54 (SO), 20:33, then every 20 minutes to 23:13
- All the workings listed as traversing the west curve at the junction of Friedrich-Ebert-Straße and Osterstraße (see above) also traverse this curve
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Neustadtring)
West curve at Am Brill
Direct trams between Westerstraße (route 1) and Radio Bremen (routes 2 & 3)
- All the workings listed as traversing the west curve at the junction of Friedrich-Ebert-Straße and Osterstraße (see above) also traverse this curve
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 16 (Neustadt ring)
South curve at Am Brill
Direct trams between Westerstraße (route 1) and Obernstraße (routes 2 & 3) [journeys between Am Brill stops A/B and E/F are sufficient to do the curve: trams call twice, once before the curve and once after]
- On Mondays to Fridays during the morning peak, route 8 runs every 10 minutes between Huchting (Roland-Center) and the city centre, with alternate trams (running as route 8E, destination: Am Brill - Domsheide) going off-route after Hochschule Bremen to run via Am Brill (using the south curve), Obernstraße, and the west curve at Domsheide; from here they continue as route 8 via the normal route back out to Huchting, or (at the end of the peak) as route 6E to Betriebshof Neustadt (BSAG-Zentrum). Departures from Roland-Center (Huchting) are at 06.13 and every 20 minutes until 08.33 (Am Brill stop A dep. 12 minutes later) [Note: also does the west curve at Domsheide afterwards]
West curve at Domsheide
According to Gleisplanweb trackplan dated July 2022, this is only available in the direction north-west to south-west Direct trams between Obernstraße (routes 2 & 3) and Wilhelm-Kaisen-Brücke (routes 4, 6 & 8) [journeys between Obernstraße and Domsheide stops B/C are sufficient to do the curve]
- On Mondays to Fridays during the morning peak, route 8 runs every 10 minutes between Huchting (Roland-Center) and the city centre, with alternate trams (running as route 8E, destination: Am Brill - Domsheide) going off-route after Hochschule Bremen to run via Am Brill (using the south curve), Obernstraße, and the west curve at Domsheide; from here they continue as route 8 via the normal route back out to Huchting, or (at the end of the peak) as route 6E to Betriebshof Neustadt (BSAG-Zentrum). From Roland-Center (Huchting) at 06.13 and every 20 minutes until 08.33 (Obernstraße dep. 14 minutes later) [Note: also does the south curve at Am Brill before]
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
East curve at Domsheide
Direct trams between Schüsselkorb (routes 4, 6 & 8) and Theater am Goetheplatz (routes 2 & 3) [journeys between Schüsselkorb and Domsheide stops K/L are sufficient to do the curve]
- Mondays to Fridays: Schüsselkorb dep. 06:48 route 4E to Tenever (this working starts as route 1S from Tenever-Zentrum at 06.15, changing to route 1E at Kirchbachstraße and then back to 4E at Rembertistraße, calls at Hauptbahnhof at 06:45, then changes back to route 1E at Domsheide) [Note: also does the north-west curve at Sielwall and the east curve at Am Dobben afterwards]
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
North-west curve at Sielwall (junction of Ostertorsteinweg and Am Dobben)
Direct trams between Humboldtstraße (route 10) and Ulrichsplatz (formerly Wulwesstraße; routes 2 & 3)
- Mondays to Fridays: Humboldstraße dep. 13:21 and 13:31 route 6E to Betriebshof Neustadt (destination: Neustadt) [these workings start as route 10E from Waller Friedhof (the stop on the balloon loop) at 13:02 and 13:12, with an initial destination of "Ostertor über Hauptbahnhof", but seem to be to provide extra capacity for school children so might not run during school holidays]
- Mondays to Fridays: Ulrichsplatz dep. 06:52 route 1E to Tenever (this working starts as route 1S from Tenever-Zentrum at 06.15, changing to route 1E at Kirchbachstraße and then back to 4E at Rembertistraße, calls at Hauptbahnhof at 06:45, then changes back to route 1E at Domsheide) [Note: also does the east curve at Domsheide before and the east curve at Am Dobben afterwards]
- Sundays and public holidays: Ulrichsplatz dep. 04:18 and 05:18 (route 6, 04:11 from Betriebshof Neustadt and 05:07 from Flughafen-Süd; these are shown in the route 6 timetable PDF as "bis Domsheide, über Ostertor, Am Dobben zum Hauptbahnhof")
East curve at Am Dobben
Direct trams between Humboldtstraße (route 10) and Parkstraße (routes 1 & 4)
- Mondays to Fridays: Humboldtstraße dep. 06:54 route 1E to Tenever (this working starts as route 1S from Tenever-Zentrum at 06.15, changing to route 1E at Kirchbachstraße and then back to 4E at Rembertistraße, calls at Hauptbahnhof at 06:45, then changes back to route 1E at Domsheide) [Note: also does the east curve at Domsheide and the north-west curve at Sielwall and the east curve at Am Dobben before]
East curve at Kleinkirchbacher
Direct trams between Friedhofstraße (route 4) and Kurfürstenallee (route 1)
- Route 4 (and N4) trams entering service from Betriebshof Neue Vahr to Lilienthal (or Borgfeld) - from Kurt-Huber-Straße at:
- Mondays to Fridays: 03:22, 03:25 (N4 to Borgfeld), 03:42, 04:02, 04:22, 05:21 (to Borgfeld), 05:34 (to Borgfeld), 05:51 (to Borgfeld), 06:03, 06:06, 13:28, 14:13
- Saturdays: 00:54 (N4), 03:02 (N4), 03:42, 04:02, 04:22, 08:35 (to Borgfeld), 08:55 (to Borgfeld), 09:17 (to Borgfeld), 09:37 (to Borgfeld)
- Sundays and public holidays: 03:02 (N4), 04:02 (N4), 06:18, 08:29, 09:29
- Trams going out of service as route 1E to Betriebshof Neue Vahr (destination: Neue Vahr-Süd) from Borgfeld and Lilienthal (marked (L), departing 12-13 minutes earlier) - from Borgfeld at:
- Mondays to Fridays: 00:07, 00:27 (L), 00:55 (L), 01:25 (L), 08:52, 09:27 (L), 18:27 (L), 18:37, 19:27 (L), 20:14, 20:34, 20:54, 23:11 (L)
- Saturdays: 00:07, 02:04 (L), 03:27 (L), 04:27 (L), 19:12, 19:32
- Sundays and public holidays: 00:42 (L), 03:27 (L), 04:27 (L), 23:42 (L)
South curve at Theater am Leibnizplatz
Direct trams between Rotes-Kreuz-Krankenhaus (route 4) and Gastfeldstraße (route 6) [journeys between Rotes-Kreuz-Krankenhaus and Theater am Leibnitzplatz stops E/F are sufficient to do the curve]
- Route 4 (and N4) trams entering service from Betriebshof Neustadt to Arsten - from BSAG-Zentrum (depot spur) at:
- Mondays to Fridays: 03:36 (N4), 03:58, 04:18, 05:41, 05:48, 06:03, 06:11, 06:26, 06:32, 06:47, 07:02, 14:29, 14:49
- Saturdays: 00:35 (N4), 03:36 (N4), 03:59, 04:19, 04:59, 09:08, 09:28
- Sundays and public holidays: 03:36 (N4), 07:22
- Trams going out of service as route 6E from Arsten to Betriebshof Neustadt (destination: Neustadt) - from Arsten at (Rotes-Kreuz-Krankenhaus dep. 14 minutes later):
- Mondays to Fridays: 00:27 (MO), 00:57, 08:48, 18:56, 18:58, 20:11, 20:30, 20:50
- Saturdays: 00:58, 03:58, 19:15
- Sundays and piblic holidays: 01:28, 03:58, 23:37
Connecting line along Georg-Bitter-Straße
Direct trams between Georg-Bitter-Straße (route 3) and Bennigsenstraße (routes 2 & 10), using the east curves at both ends (nothing is known to be scheduled to work the west curves at each end)
Depot workings between Betriebshof Sebaldsbrück and Weserwehr (route 3):
- Route 3 from Sebaldsbrück at 04:15 (SuX), 04:35 (SuX), 06:15 (SSuX), 06:19 (SuO), 09:06 (SO), 09:35 (SuO)
- Route 2E from Weserwehr at 00:20, 00:50, 19:26 (SO), 20:26 (SSuX), 20:59 (SSuX)
Hansator - Lloydstraße connecting line (with a triangle at each end)
Direct trams between Lloydstraße (route 2) or Haferkamp (routes 2 & 10) and Hansator (routes 3 & 5) or Konsul-Smidt-Straße (routes 3 & 5)
Previously used by route 3S (limited stop) from Gröpelingen to Domsheide, every 20 minutes from 06:32 until 09:12 on Mondays to Fridays, but this seems to have been discontinued: no reference to it can be found in the timetable PDFs and no journeys over this route have (yet) been found in the journey planner.
However, the Gleisplanweb map (updated in July 2022, but with timetable information dating from November 2020) shows route 5 (from Bürgerpark) taking an anticlockwise circuit from Daniel-von-Büren-Straße via Doventor, Lloydstraße, Hansator, Europahafen and back to Daniel-von-Büren-Straße; a network map on display in mid-September 2022 (now assumed to be out of date) also showed this, but the timetable PDF disagreed with that routing - so it's possible this route is used from time to time during engineering work (and it might just have been during the remodelling at Gröpelingen).
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Altstadring)
West curve at Hauptbahnhof
Direct trams between Falkenstraße (routes 5 & 10) or Am Wall (route 1) and Herdentor (routes 4, 6 & 8)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16
South curve at Haferkamp
Direct trams between Lloydstraße (route 2) and Doventersteinweg (route 10)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Altstadt ring)
West curve at Doventorsteinweg
Direct trams between Radio Bremen (routes 2 & 3) and Doventorsteinweg (route 10)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 16 (Neustadt ring)
Balloon loop at Waller Friedhof
Located on routes 2 & 10
Services starting at Waller Friedhof (heading towards the city centre) do so at a stop on the balloon loop - although it is very close to the point it rejoins the main route.
- Mondays to Fridays:
- 08:06, 08:19, 08:29 to Betriebshof Neue Vahr (route 10E, destination: Hauptbahnhof, but then change to route 1E, destination: Neue Vahr-Süd)
- 13:02, 13:12 to Betriebshof Neustadt (route 10E, destination: Ostertor über Hauptbahnhof, but then change to route 6E, destination: Neustadt)
Trams terminating at Waller Friedhof set down passengers at the normal stop, and run empty onto the balloon loop
Betriebshof Neustadt (depot spur at BSAG-Zentrum)
This depot is located on route 6
The normal BSAG-Zentrum stop is located on the country side of the spur into the depot, so depot workings to or from the city centre pick up or set down passengers at stops on the depot spur, and travel over the east curve. There are many departures bound for a variety of routes at the start of service, and some of these workings are listed in the timetable PDFs (especially route 6), with an appropriate footnote. There are other departures during the day, some of which can be found in entries listed above.
Frequent workings to the depot (as route 6E, destination: Neustadt) run after the morning peak on Mondays to Fridays, at the point of service frequency reductions during the evening, and at the end of service, from many different points on the network. Some (but by no means all) are listed in the timetable PDFs, with an appropriate footnote.
As far as is known, depot workings to or from the southern end of route 6 (Flughafen) use the normal BSAG-Zentrum stop and do not carry passengers over any part of the depot spur (so nothing is thought to use the west curve).
Betriebshof Neue Vahr (depot spur at Kurt-Huber-Straße)
This depot is located on route 1
The normal Kurt-Huber-Straße stop is located on the city side of the spur into the depot, so depot workings to or from the eastern end of route 1 (Bf Mahndorf or Tenever) pick up or set down passengers on the depot spur, and travel over the east curve (note that the depot gates are very close the point where the two curves meet, and at least arriving trams stop pretty much on the curve itself). These workings can be found using the journey planner by looking for services between Kurt-Huber-Straße and Tenever-Zentrum (in either direction) which are not shown in the route 1 PDF; when looking at the detail of the actual service, they also show use of the Depot stop at Kurt-Huber-Straße.
- Trams entering service from Betriebshof Neue Vahr to Bf Mahndorf (routes 1 and 1N) or Tenever (route 1E) - from Kurt-Huber-Straße (stop on depot spur) at (all route 1 unless stated):
- Mondays to Fridays: 03:21 (1N), 03:53, 04:13, 04:33, 04:53, 05:15, 05:31, 05:50, 05:57 (1E), 06:10, 06:28, 06:56 (1E), 07:06 (1E)
- Saturdays: 03:19 (N1), 03:53, 04:13, 04:33, 04:53, 08:32, 08:52, 09:12, 09:32, 09:52
- Sundays and public holidays: 03:19 (N1), 04:19, 06:26, 08:38
- Trams going out of service as route 1E from Bf Mahndorf to Betriebshof Neue Vahr (destination: Neue Vahr-Süd) - from Bf Mahndorf at [Erkelenzer Straße dep. 17 minutes later]:
- Mondays to Fridays: 00:05, 00:47 (MX), 01:13, 04:28, 19:54, 20:07, 20:54, 21:07, 23:47
- Saturdays: 00:47, 01:47, 03:16, 04:16, 19:07, 19:27, 19:47, 20:07, 23:47
- Sundays and public holidays: 00:47, 01:47, 03:16, 04:16, 23:47
Depot workings to or from the west (city centre direction) use the normal Kurt-Huber-Straße stop and do not carry passengers over any part of the depot spur (so nothing is thought to use the west curve).
Since the introduction of route 5 in March 2019, this route has a regular service during at least part of the the day on Mondays to Fridays. Trams depart Hauptbahnhof between 05:45 and 19:56 (SSuX) or between 09:36 and 19:40 (SO), as shown in the route 5 PDF.
In addition, the last route 6 depature from Flughafen every day (at 23:43 from Flughafen Süd) only runs as far as Hauptbahnhof (00:00), but then runs in passenger service to Bürgerpark to turn round and head for Betriebshof Neustadt, as shown in the route 6 PDF.
Connecting line along Daniel-von-Büren-Straße
Direct trams between Daniel-von-Büren-Straße (routes 5 & 10) and Doventor (route 2), Eduard-Schopf-Allee (routes 3 & 5) or Radio Bremen (routes 2 & 3)
Since the introduction of route 5 in March 2019, this route has a regular service during at least part of the day Mondays to Fridays. Trams depart Hauptbahnhof for Gröpelingen between 06:02 and 20:08 (SSuX) or between 09:48 and 19:51 (SO); they depart Gröpelingen for central Bremen between 05:27 and 20:38 (SSuX) or 09:18 and 20:18 (SO). [Note: all route 5 trams also do the north curve at junction of Auf der Muggenburg and Doventorsteinweg (see below)]
North curve at junction of Auf der Muggenburg and Doventorsteinweg
Direct trams between Eduard-Schopf-Allee (routes 3 & 5) and Daniel-von-Büren-Straße (routes 5 & 10), Doventor (route 2) or Doventorsteinweg (route 10)
Since the introduction of route 5 in March 2019, this route has a regular service during at least part of the day Mondays to Fridays. Trams depart Hauptbahnhof for Gröpelingen between 06:02 and 20:08 (SSuX) or between 09:48 and 19:51 (SO); they depart Gröpelingen for central Bremen between 05:27 and 20:38 (SSuX) or 09:18 and 20:18 (SO). [Note: all route 5 trams also do the cconnecting line along Daniel-von-Büren-Straße (see above)]
Advertised curves during a Summer/Autumn 2022 Engineering work closure and timetables dated 18 July 2022 unless otherwise stated.
Schillerstraße - west to south curve - August-Bebel-Straße
In regular use by diverted route 3 from 11 July - 29 November 2022.
Bonnaskenplatz - Schmellwitz Anger
- Trams (route 1) run only SSuX, between ca.05:00 and ca.18:00 (buses other days and times) but all services have been replaced by buses for periods, not necessarily linked to engineering work as is the suspension between 11 July - 29 November 2022 as its route further south is closed.
West to north curve at Stadthalle
In regular use by diverted route 4 from 11 July - 29 November 2022.
In the last previous EGTRE update based on the 31 August 2015 timetables only used by
- From Ströbitz to Neu Schmellwitz (route 3): 20:40 Daily & 20:44 SSuX
- From Jessener Str. to Neu Schmellwitz (route 5): 20:36 SSuO
- From observations trams from the Depot run in public service and call at both Stadthalle N and W so additional journeys may use this curve from Stadthalle N at approximately 04:35, & 05:50 SSuX
East to north curve at Stadthalle
- From Stadthalle (Bahnsteig C) to Sandow (route 2): 04:23, 04:40 SSuX, 04:56, 05:26 SSuO
- From Sandow to Neu Schmellwitz (route 2): 21:07 SSuX, 20:59 SSuO
Neu Schmellwitz to Betriebshof Schmellwitz
- A section of Route 4 to/from the only Depot for the whole network beyond the usual turning circle for this route normally has irregular timetabled journeys, more frequent at start and end of peak periods but none are shown in the PDF dated 18 July 2022. They were shown on a panel posted at a stop dated 25 October 2021.
Lutherstrasse connecting line
No use in timetables dated 18 July 2022. In the 31 August 2015 timetables only used by
- Route 2 SSuX between 18:25 and 20:25
- All Route 5 SSuO from 12:15 to 20:20
North to East at Hauptbahnhof/Thiemstrasse
Curve eliminated on construction of new Hbf interchange loop opened on 22 October 2019, as was the previous direct north to south route. The south to east curve still exists but it no longer has a regular service.
South to West at Hauptbahnhof/Thiemstrasse
Curve now in all day use by route 4 on construction of new Hbf interchange loop opened on 22 October 2019
West to South at Görlitzer Str
In regular use by diverted route 3 from 11 July - 29 November 2022.
In the 31 August 2015 timetables only used by
- Route 2 from Sachsendorf depart 17:57 SSuX to Sandow
- All Route 2 SSuX between 18:20 and 20:20
- All Route 5 SSuO from 12:15 to 20:30 but this route no longer runs by Summer 2022.
As per August 2017 journey
Westfalenstadion branch: Signal-Iduna-Park
Events at the above are the only time services use this short branch with triangular junction access from the Westfalenhalen and Remydamm directions. For a BVB Dortmund evening football match on Saturday 26th August 2017, the DSW21 journey planner showed a 10 minute interval route U46E service as extensions beyond the normal route 46 terminus of Westfalenhalen via Signal-Iduna-Park [including in service via the sizeable loop there] to continue via Remydamm to Hauptbahnhof to terminate and vice versa. Note this U46E continued to run whilst the match was underway in addition to numerous additional journeys before and after the game.
From the timetable dated 19 September 2016. This list is not comprehensive as numerous other curves may be used by Depot workings as timings are not shown on their off route sections. These entries are from PDF searches for route termini departures plus tram stop panels on October 2016 and April 2017 visits. Timetable information as opposed to a journey planner is hard to locate on their website so is linked here and for a route map which unfortunately also includes buses is here.
Bishofsweg North to East
- Journeys from Kiefernweg on Route 8 departing 21:09 SuX and 00:51 Sunday morning, plus from Weixdorf on Route 7 at 03:50 Sunday morning and 01:01 Monday morning on Route 7 use this curve to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Anton/Leipziger Strasse South to East & Bf Neustadt West to North curves
- Route 9 from Kaditz at 21:30 SSuX to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Dresden Mitte East side, South to North
- Route 10 from Hp. Freiberger Straße at 20:48 SuX & 21:18 SSuX to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Dresden Mitte West side, South to North
- Not in the PDF but a traveller on a Bank Holiday came across a Route 10 journey from Gorbitz Depot at 08:14 to Messe Dresden departing via Route 2 which used this curve, and its return journey fits in with a service increase on Sundays from Messe.
Leuben Kletterstraße street loop
- The Route 2 normal eastern terminus at Kleinzschachwitz is long term closed so during 2022 is terminating here for an unknown period and travellers advise it picks up at a stop at the start of the loop.
Liststrasse West to North
- Route 13 from Riegelplatz at 03:56 Daily to Trachenberge Depot.
Pirnaischer Platz north to west
The Tram Museum operate a vintage tram route 16 as a circular service from their Depot at Trachenberge and this is the only non-passenger curve it uses. Normal DVB tickets are valid and see their website for Rundfahrten mit historischen Bahnen for operating days. Timings are posted at relevant tramstops.
This is the terminus for routes 10 and 12 but there is no loop as Trams simply change from one route to the other at stop Ludwig-Hartmann-Strasse. Therefore all route 10's travel via the north to west curve here.
Friedhof Lauben north to west
- Route 6 journeys towards Reick Depot at 22:31 23:03 SuX, 22:17 SuO
- Taken from August 2018 IBSE Telegramm. A new loop replacing the closed turnback triangle, used on Schooldays only by route 12 or E6 at 07:46, 07:59 and 14.36 and 14:51
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 12 June 2005
Rheinbahnhaus turning circle (route U74)
- From Rheinbahnhaus eastwards: 03:09 SSuO, 03:39 SSuO, 06:04 SuO and half-hourly to 09:04 SuO, 10:34 SuO, 11:34 SuO, 12:34 SuO
Sportpark Nord/Europaplatz loop (route U78)
- Two outward journeys per hour use this loop (except when an expanded service is in operation on U78 for Messe and arena events); note that inward journeys do not use this loop
Polizeipräsidium (clockwise) loop
- Route 704 before 06:20 SSuX and after 19:15 SSuX, also SSuO (but no service 08:55 SO to 16:20 SO)
- Route 719 06:20 SSuX to 19:12 SSuX
Südfriedhof turning circle (route 709)
- From Gerresheim Krankenhaus to Hauptbahnhof via Südfriedhof: 23:48 SuO
Jan-Wellem-Platz northern platform loop [platforms 7 and 8]
- Anti-clockwise circuit through platform 7 (outward non-stop via platform 3): route 711 between 07:54 SSuX and 10:04 SSuX and again between 15:35 SSuX and 17:35 SSuX
- Platform 8 to west curve: departures from platform 8 at 04:44 SuX (712), 05:04 SuX (712), 05:25 SO (712), 05:34 SSuX (712), 06:04 SSuX (712), 06:34 SSuX (712), 08:40 SuO (712), 17:12 Sch (713), 17:22 Sch (713), 17:32 Sch (713), 17:42 Sch (713) [0722 Sch, 07:32 Sch and 07:42 Sch route 713 workings from Holthausen may arrive via this curve]. Sch denotes school-days only
- Platform 7 to west curve: route 715 departures from platform 7 at 05:11 SSuX, 05:31 SSuX, 05:38 SO, 05:51 SSuX, 05:58 SO, 06:11 SSuX, 06:18 SO, 06:38 SO, 06:58 SO, 19:46 SSuX, 20:08 SuX, 20:28 SSuX, 20:48 SSuX
Bruchstrasse (anti-clockwise) loop (routes 716 and 719)
- Route 716: from Universität Ost to Kettwiger Strasse (or beyond) via Bruchstrasse: 17:08 Sch, 17:58 Sch, 18:08 Sch. Sch denotes school-days only
- Route 719: from Polizeipräsidium to Polizeipräsidium via Bruchstrasse: 07:51 SSuX, 15:42 FO/1742 FSSuX and every 10 minutes to 16:22 FO/1822 FSSuX
(also other journeys advertised into - but not out of - Bruchstrasse)
Flingern S-Bahnhof east to south curve (route 716)
- On schooldays only, between 06:15 and 09:15 and again between 15:10 and 18:30
- Also one SSuX non school-days round trip at 06:26 from Auf'm Hennekamp (stop 3) to Staufenplatz and 06:52 return
Auf'm Hennekamp northeast to southeast curve
- Route 716 on schooldays only, between 06:45 and 09:25 and again between 14:55 and 18:15
- Also from Auf'm Hennekamp (stop 4) to Benrath or Universität Ost: 07:13 SSuX (716), 10:22 SO (701), 15:24 SuO (701), 15:26 SSuX (711)
Wiesenhügel loop and Abzweig Wiesenhügel West to South
All route N3 journeys to Urbicher Kreuz also serve Wiesenhügel via the above rare sections
Domplatz Süd South to North
Route 4 at 00:47 TWThFSO en route to Bhf Nordhauser Strasse
Hauptfriedhof turning circle
This is the old terminal loop before the extension of route 4 via the Flughaven to Bindersleben which is on the other side of a main road from the through tracks. Inbound and outbound trams use approximately one quarter each of the loop which is used by half of the service all days of the week.
"Stadtpark" loop with Löberwallgraben departure stop
Route 5 officially terminates at Erfurt Hauptbahnhof but there is no turning circle there so all trams continue to the clockwise street loop described as Stadtpark in the 2005 Strassenbahn Atlas. There is a departure stop near the loop exit named Löberwallgraben at which you can board departing trams as it is found in the journey planner but this is not listed in the timetable nor shown on system maps. Asking to stay on the tram at the Hauptbahnhof to travel to Löberwallgraben is known to have been successful.
There are two stops with the same name for this Route 5 Terminus, stay on after calling at the first as the second serves the adjacent bus station
Until 20.45 Route 6 uses an anti-clockwise loop to terminate on a third track, after this time all route 1 and 6 trams arrive on one route and depart as the other on platforms 1 and 2.
Although shown on maps in the same style as a tram line, this is a bus route
Daily in summer and on other occasions, there is scope for rare curves in Erfurt City centre, especially for the two connections between the separate single line sections of Route 2. Further information would be appreciated by the Compilers.
Frankfurt am Main: VGF
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 12 December 2004
Southeast - southwest curve at Hauptbahnhof Südseite
- From Hauptbahnhof Südseite to Rheinlandstrasse, Südbahnhof, Offenbach Stadtgrenze or Stadion (routes 12,15,16,19,21): 03:36, 03:48 SSuX, 03:49 SO, 04:09 SuO, 04:18 SSuX, 04:19 SSuO, 04:31 SuX, 04:32 SuO, 04:38 SSuX, 04:39 SuO, 04:51 SuX, 04:52 SuO, 04:53 SSuX, 04:58 SSuX, 05:01 SSuX, 05:08 SSuX, 05:11 SuX, 05:12 SuO, 05:13 SSuX, 05:32 SSuX, 05:36 SuO, 06:07 SO, 06:13 SSuX, 06:23 SSuX, 07:01 SO, 07:08 SO, 07:22 SO, 07:08 SO, 07:28 SO, 07:48 SO, 10:48 SuO, 11:08 SuO, 11:28 SuO, 11:48 SuO, 12:02 SuO, 12:08 SuO, 12:22 SuO, 12:28 SuO
- From Rheinlandstrasse to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (routes 12 and 19): 00:55, 01:15 MO, 13:35 SSuX, 13:45 SSuX, 20:45 SO
- From Südbahnhof to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 15): 00:51, 01:11, 01:21, 20:18
- From Offenbach Stadtgrenze to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 16): 00:48, 01:18, 20:58, 21:18, 21:38, 21:58
- From Stadion to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 21): 00:47, 01:07, 19:35 SSuO, 19:55 SSuO, 20:15 SSuO, 20:35 SSuX
Daimlerstrasse to Johanna Tesch Platz
- From Fechenheim Hugo Junkers Strasse to Johanna Tesch Platz (route 12): 00:29, 20:03 SSuX
Southeast to southwest curve at Saalburg/Wittelsbacherallee
- From Saalburg/Wittelsbacherallee [route 12 stop, direction Bornheim Mitte] to Neu Isenburg Stadtgrenze (route 14): 04:16 SSuX, 04:31 SO, 04:46 SSuX, 04:51 SSuO, 04:56 SSuX, 05:06 SSuX, 05:11 SuO, 05:26 SSuX, 05:51 SuO, 06:56 SO, 07:16 SO, 07:56 SO, 12:16 SuO, 12:36 SuO
Rebstöcker Strasse - Galluswarte
- There are alternative routes via Schwalbacher Strasse or via Galluspark/VHS; the latter route is used only as follows: eastbound from 13:20 SuX to 20:00 SuX and westbound from 05:15 SuX to 10:00 SuX. At all other times the route via Schwalbacher Strasse is used.
Turning circles at Zoo and at Festhalle/Messe
- Used by Ebbelwei-Express (sightseeing service), with up to ten round trips SSuO and Public Holidays, as advertised.
Ebbelwei-Express Tourist Service
This tourist tram operation resumed on 6 November 2021 after an 18 month break due to the pandemic. It runs from Zoo, on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, starting at 13-30 and every 35 minutes until 19-45. Price 8 Euro [3.5 Euro concessions] for a hour long "...music filled..." trip, which includes a bottle of Frankfurt cider [or apple juice] and a bag of pretzels. More details at the Ebbelwei-Express website.
Frankfurt Oder: SVF
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 12 December 2021. Note most routes do not run on Sundays.
Bahnhof - North to West curve to/from Kleist Forum - [Messegelände]
- Route 5 with departures from Bahnhof at 04:11/41 then every 20 minutes from 06:31 - 09:11 & 13:31 - 17:31 Monday to Friday, 18 or 19 minutes later on the return journeys from Messegelände from stop Kleist Forum, plus 22:49 & 23:19. At weekends limited journeys only from Bahnhof at 06:11 & 06:41 or from Kleist Forum at 22:49 or 23:19
Johann-Eichorn-Straße - Heinrich-Hildebrand-Straße
- Route 3 & 4 coming into/out of service to/from Betriebshof SVF use a south to west curve between these two stops. They are shown running in service with calls to/from stop Mühlenweg on the route of trams 1 & 5.
In the timetable dated 12 December 2021 route 3 from Johann-Eichorn-Straße at 06:03 SSuX and from Heinrich-Hildebrand-Straße at 17:12, 17:47 & 18:07 SSuX. Route 4 only shows a timing from Betriebshof SVF at 04:18, 04:24, 05:54, 06:24 SSuX 06:54 SSuO, 08:59 SO or from Heinrich-Hildebrand-Str, again with timings shown only to Betriebshof SVF at 19:51 SSuX, 15:51 SO, 23:03, 23:11 Daily
Advertised journeys in timetable dated January 2016
Schmelzhüttenstraße - Heinrichstraße
- The trackplan on the doprava.unas.cz website correctly shows three single track routes via separate streets between these two points. As at November 2016, the southernmost was used by route 1 trams from Zwötzen towards Untermhaus, and the middle by route 1 trams from Untermhaus to Zwötzen. The third running south to north to arrive at Heinrichstraße from the north is only used by route 1 trams from Zwötzen towards the Depot with departures from Schmelzhüttenstraße at 20:51, 00:06, 00:36 SSuX, 18:56, 19:26 SSuO, 00:06, 00:36 Saturday and Monday morning, 01:11, 01:41 Sunday morning.
Bahnhof Zwötzen - Fußgängerbrücke
- Route 2 over this four tram stop section only runs Mondays - Fridays between 05:15 and 20:00. There are additional journeys to/from Betriebshof GVB and Fußgängerbrücke using the south side of the Fußgängerbrücke triangle and part of the above route on all days of the week.
Fußgängerbrücke east to north
- Twelve Route 3 Journeys from stop Betriebshof GVB between 04:08 and 06:23 SSuX, five on Saturdays between 05:08 and 09:11 and 04:03, 5:08, 06:32, 11:48, 12:13 [Route 2] and 12:18 on Sundays.
- Inbound Depot workings departing Keplerstraße at 08:10, 08:30, 08:50, 17:10, 20:59, 21:02 SSuX 00:17, 00:47, 01:02 Saturday morning, 16:00, 19:07, 19:30, 19:37 SO, 01:02 Sunday morning, 19:05 SuO & 00:17, 00:47 & 01:01 Monday morning
Lusan/Brüte turning circle
- Part of Route 3 terminates ¼ way in, and departs 1/3rd out of this loop between 05:25 and 16:25 SSuX
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 December 2013 [current in October 2016]
Bahnhof/Sudausgang West to South
- Despite Route 2 PDF advising the 19:28 journey connects with a Town Centre bound Route 3 implying a call at stops opposite each other after the above curve, a traveller in October 2016 was asked to get off the tram at the stop before the curve [Bahnhof] as the driver needed to leave the vehicle to manually switch the point. It is not known if the later journeys may traverse the curve in service but it is thought unlikely. Departures are from Lutherstrasse at 19:28, 19:48 & 20:08 SSuX and 20:16 SSuO so any further confirmation would be appreciated by the Compilers.
Advertised journeys from 15 December 2019.
Huttenstraße East to West
- Only used by Route 3 which has a very limited service with departures from Gartenstraße towards Ostbahnhof at 04:26 & 05:24 SSuX, 08:28 SO and 09:28 SuO, and from Hersdorfplatz towards Wagenhalle at 17:38, 19:01, 22:46 SSuX, 19:03 SSuO.
Sundhausen - Boxberg via Kreiskrankenhaus
- A few Route 4 journeys run via the Kreiskrankenhaus terminus of route 1. These are the only services to use the direct NE <> SW line between Kreiskrankenhaus and Boxberg at the triangle south of Sundhausen. Departures from Sundhausen at 04:59, 05:33, 05:59, 06:20, 07:09, 20:06, 21:06 SSuX 08:06, 20:06 SSuO or from Boxberg at 04:48, 05:30, 06:06, 18:25, 19:25, 20:13, 21:13, 22:13 SSuX, 17:29, 18:25, 19:25, 20:13, 21:13 SSuO
Waltershausen Gleisdreieck West to North
- The on-line PDF shows use by one pair of trams each week, a Saturdays only 07:28 from Waltershausen Bahnhof departing Waltershausen Ohrdrufer Straße at 07:33 arriving Bad Tabarz at 07:52 and a return at 07:54 from Bad Tabarz to Waltershausen Bahnhof departing Schnepfenthal at 08:08.
Waltershausen Gleisdreieck East to North
- The Route 6 shuttle to/from Waltershausen Bahnhof terminates on the East curve so its complete length is only done by limited through services on/off route 4 from Waltershausen Ohrdrufer Straße at 20:35 SSuX, 19:29 SSuO, and Wahlwinkel at 04:55 SSuX, 07:15 SO, 08:57 SuO
Waltershausen Bahnhof loop
- The Route 6 shuttle to/from Waltershausen Gleisdreieck if worked by a double ended tram may not use the full loop here, but run direct to the terminal stop.
This network is undergoing significant upgrading and the German Society IBSE published the following rare route summary with effect from a timetable change on 10 August 2017. The following sections are used on Mo-Fr (without guarantee and without claim to completeness):
- The loop at Heide is approached by 07.48, 08.03 and 19.20 hrs (the first two times only on school days). A ride depends on the driver.
- From Heide, trams at 07.52 and 19.26 run via the W-S curve at Franckeplatz - Vogelweide - Damaschkestraße to Rosengarten. Before the Rosengarten exit they turn left onto the operating route. There are other trams from Kröllwitz use the same routing.
- A tram from Heide at 08:29 am from the 3rd platform runs via the N-W curve at Rennbahnkreuz to change to a line 16 at Göttinger Bogen at about 9 o'clock. There may be others.
- At 19.42 a line 1 from Beesen heading for Rosengarten travels via Südstadt - Böllberg - W-S curve Rannischer Platz - Vogelweide. From December 2017 this curve will be in regular use
- A 5E from Ammendorf at 06.43 hrs drives via Vogelweide, the S-E curve at Franckeplatz and the W-N curve at Riebeckplatz to Steintor to continue at 07.11 as 1E to Beesen.
- In the evening, several trams of line 3 from Veszpremer Straße use the Franckeplatz to Hauptbahnhof curve.
- Notable is the combination of line 10 and E from Göttinger Bogen at 18.55 running via Markt - Berlin Brücke - Hauptbahnhof - Franckeplatz E-S curve to Rosengarten.
- From 20.00 onwards, line 94 uses the Franckeplatz N - W curve to go to Kröllwitz.
- The Steintor N-E curve (from Reileck to Berliner Brücke) is used in the evening by three trams: line 12 at 19.49 and 20.04 from Trotha and line 7 at 20.05 from Kröllwitz. From Ammendorf to Rosengarten (S-E-branch), line 5 runs at 18.00 and 20.03 hours. From the Elsa-Brändström-Straße loop over the track change Vogelweide to Rosengarten line 8 runs at 20.38.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 April 2018. Note it is only possible to travel the complete system including both entries below on a Saturday as Route 1 does not run on Sundays.
Klus branch (Herbingstrasse west junction - Klus - Herbingstrasse east junction)
- From Sargstedter Weg to Hauptbahnhof (route 2): 08:00 SO / 09:00 SSuO and hourly to 18:00 SSuO [note: route used only on these days and only in this direction - all other route 2 journeys use direct curve at Herbingstrasse]
- The terminus of Route 1 at Friedhof does not have a turning circle, therefore as in February 2018, if worked by single ended trams they change direction on departure by reversing in passenger service via a triangle at the entrance to the adjacent Depot.
Goetheplatz east to south to Schwarzer Bär east and Schwarzer Bär west - Allerweg
Although route 17 is a higher number than all others it is not temporary but is unique to the above sections apart from 4 pairs of Fri/Sat, Sat/Sun night journeys on route 7 on the latter. Also note it does not run Saturday or Sunday mornings.
Goetheplatz north to south & Humboldtstraße - north to south curve - Waterloo
The curves are only used by night journeys on route 10, three pairs Fri/Sat, four pairs Sat/Sun night.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 11 August 2016
Stadtzentrum Holzmarkt - Stadtzentrum Löbdergraben
- All Route 33 journeys which only runs 21:15 to 00:15 Daily or additionally between 04:15 to 07:45 SO or to 11:45 SuO.
- Half of the service on routes 2 and 3 run through changing route here so a complete traversal of the loop is guaranteed. Note all route 34 journeys also run via Winzerla loop during its limited operating hours.
From a May 2019 report. This is such a large system that there are assumed to be other rare route opportunities, reports would be welcomed by the Compilers.
Link from Messe Deutz [Line 3] to/from Deutz Technische Hochschule [Line 1]
- Midweek evening Depot journeys on route E from Vischeringstrasse to Merheim
This link line has a triangle at the west end, and in November 2012 the curve from the south was used by an mid evening Depot Bound route E4 from Suevenstraße
Details from timetables dated 27 August 2020 which can be found here
Route 3 curves
This route does not run at weekends and is the only one via three curves, namely Hauptbahnhof Ost - Verkehrsbetriebe, Südring north east - Hertzstraße & Raiffeisenstraße west to south
German Enthusiasts Society IBSE reported in October 2020 that the following additional rare lines/curves can be travelled:-
- Route 1 or 10 from Sudenburg at 18.02/18.22/18.50/19.00/19.02 via Hasselbachplatz west to south [see route 6]
- Route 1 from IKEA at 18.26/18.46 via Kastanienstraße north to east
- Route 2 from Alte Neustadt at 18.16/18.52/19.12 via the north to west curve onto the non-passenger line from Betriebsstrecke Agnetenstraße – Neustädter Friedhof and the east to north curve towards the North Depot
- Route 4 from Cracau at 18.19/18.39 via the east to north curve from Allee Center to Alter Markt
- Route 6 from Diesdorf at 17.57/18.17 via the west to south curve at Westring and the west to south at Hasselbachplatz
- Route 6 from Herrenkrug at 18.03/18.23 via Nordbrück and the east to north curve at Opernplatz
- Route 9 from Reform at 18.54 via the south to east curve at Hasselbachplatz
- Route 9 from Neustädter See at 18.20/18.40 via the north to east curve at Kastanienstraße
Timetables from various dates, plus these entries are unlikely to be the only rare track opportunities and may not be current.
- Routes 4 & 4a normally split to reach separate termini in the NE suburbs at Kafertaler Wald and Waldfriedhof but after 21.00 Daily, plus up to 9am Saturdays and all day Sunday both termini are served on the same journeys meaning use of a W to N curve at Hermann-Gutzmann schule.
Depot runs to Rheingönheim via Ludwigshafen Hbf via south exit to Saarlandstraße
- German contacts advised of rare route E workings as per the title but a journey planner search failed to find them in May 2020 so please check before travelling.
Duale Hochschule - Hans-Thoma-Straße & SAP-Arena - SAP-Arena Süd
- From 22 May 2020 one tram departing Edingen Bahnhof at 07:04 SSuX is described as route 9, and uses both the above curves to arrive at Mannheim Hbf at 07:37
The track connecting two routes via this road does not normally have a passenger service as it is primarily to access a Depot, but a local correspondent advises that from Autumn 2020 it is traversed SSuX by 3 journeys early AM and 2 in the afternoon peak hours as listed on an email Group post timed at 12:27 on 29.08.20 from erbsenzähler89 on https://www.drehscheibeonline.de/foren/read.php?005,9431115.
As per the timetable dated 11 December 2016
Grillparzerstraße – Haidenauplatz
- This section connecting lines 19 and 25 has no scheduled service but as this large tram network has only one Depot east of Einsteinstraße on route 19, trams going in and out of service to/from St-Velt-Straße will use this section.
It should be noted that on being at Einsteinstraße around 09:00 on a Sunday in April 2017 there was a constant stream of trams coming off the Depot, all of which went into service from this stop on the way to their correct route. There were no timetables at the stop so numerous other curves around the Max-Weber Platz area should be possible on these trams
Ostfriedhof West to South
- Night Tram N27, running daily between Petuelring and Großhesseloher Brücke via Karlsplatz (Stachus) near München Hauptbahnhof. Southbound services between 01:42 and 04:42 from stop Mariahilfplatz or northbound between 01:17 and 04:17 from stop Silberhornstraße.
Hochschule München loop
- Route 22 SSuX between 07:00 and 19:00 with no service during Summer School Holidays [31.7 - 11.9.2017]. This loop can be completely traversed with an arrival and departure and note departure goes through an opening in a housing block.
A 440m re-instatement from Vogelwiese - Salztor reopened on 1 December 2017, and tracks were extended 90m to terminate in front of the Hauptbahnhof on 14 September 2018.
This city has an unusual operating practice as inbound Depot services are only shown on timetables as short journeys to the last stop on line of route. There both stop screens and tram destinations are changed to show them as route "D" to Frankenstraße although timings for these journeys are listed in the Journey planner. Outbound from Frankenstraße to line of route are also shown in the journey planner as route D's. Route Timetables are not easy to locate on the VAG website so as at December 2019 they could be found here
Brehmstraße south to east & Christuskirch west to south
- Route D departures from Brahmstraße to Frankenstraße at 18:21/31 SSuX, 20:36/38 & 00:45, 01:05 Daily
- Route D departures from Frankenstraße to Brahmstraße at 04:29/49, 06:16/26/36, 11:36/46 SSuX, 04:50 SO, 08:48 SuO
Christuskirch west to south
- Route D departures from Landgrabenstraße to Frankenstraße at 08:29/39/49/59, 17:29/39/49, 19:27/48, 20:08, 00:38/58, 01:18 SSuX, 20:27/48, 21:08 SO, 00:38/58, 01:18 SSuO
- Route D departures from Frankenstraße to Am Wegfeld at 04:24/34/54, 05:14, 06:00/10/20, 11:20/30/40 SSuX, 04:24/42, 05:02 SSuO
Schweiggerstraße south to west
- Route 7/D departures from Wodanstraße to Frankenstraße at 20:55 SX, 00:41 Daily
- Route D departures from Schweiggerstraße west to Tristanstraße at 05:15 SSuX, 08:55 SO, 09:09 SuO
Schweiggerstraße north to west
- Route 8/D departures from Scheurlstraße to Frankenstraße at 08:01 SSuX, 20:33/53, 00:54, 01:14 Daily
- Route D departures from Nürnberg Hummelsteiner Weg to Erlenstegen at 04:34, 05:01/21 SSuX, 04:34/54, 08:41 So, 04:35/55 SuO
Rathenauplatz - Rennweg - Friedrich Ebert Platz (part of former route 9)
- 2019 timings for Route 15 Historische Burgringlinie "Oldtimer" tram, which operates SSuO of the first weekend of each month except January. See the Timetable.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 December 2019. PDFs are available here
Platz der Einheit/Nord street loop
There are double track north/south and roughly east/west routes with this city centre anti-clockwise street loop with triangle junctions at the east and north ends connecting them. Route 99 running SSuX only until 19:20 terminates on this loop from the east so does the east to north and east to south curves on this loop, so this entry is the west to north curve from stop Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum onto the street loop as it is only used by the following journeys to reverse direction:
- Route 91 at 04:39, 04:59, 08:04 SuX 06:39, 06:59 SuO
- Route 93 at 05:09, 06:54 SSuX
- Route 96 (last timed from stop Alt Markt/Landtag as Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum is off route) at 05:35 Daily, 20:24, 20:44 SSuO
- Route 98 at 06:43, 13:54 SSuX (off route but timed at Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum!)
The east to north curve after stop Platz der Einheit/Nord has no booked service.
There is a terminating stub on a different alignment from the through line which is only scheduled for use each evening after 19:25 SSuX 19:50 SSuO or early Saturday morning until 08:00 or Sunday morning until 10:00
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 9 December 2012
W to N Doberaner Platz
- Depot runs displayed on route 3 PDF stops from Neuer Friedhof to Saarplatz as Route E to Hans-Schütz-Straße departing Saarplatz at: 20:29 SSuX, 20:34 SO, 20:35 SuO, 00:18 Daily.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 1 March 2013
S to W Haselholz - Stauffenbergstraße
- Route 3 SSuX 05:55 to 08:20 and 13:55 to 17:20 plus odd early Depot runs on other routes from Haselholz to Hegelstraße.
- Services may be diverted via a triangle junction just south of Platz der Jugend to serve a stop nearer the castle situated on a figure of eight loop during special events, summer weekends, public holidays etc.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 10 December 2017 as at September 2018
Metre Gauge Tours
Following conversion of all passengers services to Broad gauge, some dual gauge tracks were left in situ. The Tram Museum website shows timings for three tours each Sunday starting from the Tram Museum in Bad Cannstatt which would at the very least travel unusual lines from the Depot to the NeckarPark (Stadion) branch, the U11 east to south curve, the south to west curve at Lowentor and the turning circle at Ruhbank (Fernsehturm). Reports of the route taken would be appreciated by the Compilers.
- NeckarPark (Stadion) is served by a branch off routes U1/U2 and U14 between Stuttgart city centre and Bad Cannstatt. Trams previously ran only in connection with football matches and other Stadium events but from 10 December 2017 route U19 runs regularly. This runs from Neugereut via Bad Cannstatt onto the branch via the north curve between approximately 06:50 and 19:30 SSuX. The U11 via the south curve from the city centre still only runs in connection with Stadium events.
Weinsteige - Waldau Curve
- Route U8 only runs Monday to Friday except for odd journeys departing Weinsteige on Saturdays at 04:14, 04:44, 06:11, 06:17, 06:39, 06:49, 07:19, 09:09, 09:46 & 09:55, Sundays at 04:14, 04:44, 06:59, 07:12, 07:42, 07:47, 07:52, 08:23, 10:50 & 11.04 or from Waldau on Saturdays at 20:51, Sundays at 00:21, 00:41, 00:43, 00:51, 00:59, 01:11, 01:19, 18:20 & 18:23. Note this curve has an underground flying junction at the Waldau end.
Ruhbank (Fernsehturm): Connection from high level (U15) platforms to the Heumaden line
- At Ruhbank (Fernsehturm) there are separate platforms used by lines U7 & U8 (low level) and by line U15 (high level). Most U15 trams terminate and start at Ruhbank (Fernsehturm), but a few run through to and from Heumaden. These use a connection from the high level platforms to the U7/U8 “main line”.
As at September 2018 U15 journeys to Heumaden departed Ruhbank (Fernsehturm): Schooldays every ten minutes 06:51 to 07:51 and 15:51 to 18:11, Daily at 20:31, 00:21 & 00:36 plus Sundays only 18:01
U15 journeys from Heumaden depart Silberwald: Schooldays 04:46, 05:01, 05:16 and every ten minutes 06:48 to 07:58 and 15:58 to 18:18; Mondays to Fridays during school holidays 04:46, 05:01, 05:16 and 06:48 plus on Saturdays at 06:31, 07:01, 10:18; Sundays and public holidays 07:31, 08:01, 11:18
Near to Sudheimer Platz U-Bahn station, this only operates between 09:10 and 17:30 daily as route 20 and is included in VVS Stuttgart ticketing
Line 2 opened on 9 December 2018.
Timetables are available as PDF downloads at https://www.swu.de/privatkunden/produkte-leistungen/mobilitaet/linienfahrplaene/ - the current schedules are from 12 December 2021.
Curve west of Ehinger Tor: Martin-Luther-Kirche - Blücherstraße
This curve allows trams to run directly between the depot, just west of Theodor-Heuss-Platz on Line 1, and the western terminus of Line 2 at Kuhberg Schulzentrum.
They can be found in the Line 1 timetable (link above) by looking for services with timings only at Blücherstraße and Theodor-Heuss-Platz with headnote '2'; or in the Line 2 timetable by looking for services with timings only between Kuhberg Schulzentrum and Martin-Luther-Kirche. They run at different times on different days of the week.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 14 September 2010
Juliuspromenade West to South
- Route 4 between 06.00 to 19.00 SSuX, 09.00 - 16.00 SO; at all other times services double run to, and via a complete loop at the Hauptbahnhof and serve the Juliuspromenade stop in both directions.
Madrider Ring North to South
- Route 5 is diverted via the north to west curve to additionally serve the route 3 terminus at Hechelhof Athener Ring out of working hours, therefore the direct north - south line is only used between 05.30 and 19.30 SSuX and 08.30 and 16.30 on Saturdays.
Map and timetables here dated 12 December 2021
The route to the Main Railway station closed on 13 December 2019 due to track condition. Re-opening if it happens is not expected before 2023.
Neumarkt north to east
The route 3 PDF shows early morning scheduled use of this curve by journeys from Betriebshof Schlachthofsraße to Eckersbach, but inbound they have a last booked stop before, and no scheduled calls at stops after the curve. So by implication journeys towards the Depot do not use the curve in passenger service.